This unframed watercolour dating from around 1820 is by Emma Fynes Clinton (1760-1831). The artist was born in Nottingham the daughter of Job Brough, and married the Reverend Charles Fynes Clinton in 1779.
This painting shows the Bishop’s Palace viewed from the north with the cathedral behind with some details of the garden. The Grade II listed Bishop’s Palace is the second oldest building in Bangor after the cathedral. Dating from the 16th century, it is the only substantially intact Bishop’s Palace surviving from the late mediaeval period in Wales.
It was built in two phases during the episcopates of Bishops Deane and Skevington. Tree-ring dating has shown that the south-east wing was constructed in 1546. The Bishop’s Palace was extended immediately after the Reformation, and there are later 18th and 19th century additions. The north west-wing built during the episcopate of Bishop Majendie is shown in this painting.
The building became the town hall in 1909,and in 2014-15 it was renovated as part of a £2.6 million project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund and other funders. It reopened as a Museum and Art Gallery, Storiel in 2016.
This painting is a new acquisition to the collection and is a gift from the Friends of Storiel. It will be on display soon. For further information on joining the Friends please see https://www.storiel.cymru/friends/